We all certainly encountered a point in our lives where we faced messy bathrooms. Shampoo bottles and packets scattered everywhere, the soap bar on top of the toilet tank cover alongside with two razor blades, you get the point. When we face this scenario, it’s frustrating because when you’re in a hurry, like getting ready for school or work, and all the materials for your bath rituals are spread out inside the bathroom, you lose valuable time. Additionally, a disordered bathroom is also embarrassing for guests when you invite them to a party.
We all know and understand this problem, but the good this is there is a solution, a thingamajig that we’re familiar of but we don’t know what’s it called. The contraption I’m talking about are shower caddies. A shower caddy, in general, is a pre-made shelf-like object made of either plastic, stainless steel, or even wood (teak wood and bamboo included).
A shower caddy’s major purpose is to serve as an organizer to keep your bathroom necessities close by when you need them the most. A shower caddy appropriately keeps and organizes hair and tooth brushes, shampoo bottles and packets, soap bars, and other indispensable beauty and care products.
What are Shower Caddies?
A shower caddy is an accessory for the organization of your shower essentials that you can mount on your showerhead, place on a corner of your bathroom or shower enclosure either through a tension bar mechanism or a freestanding feature, or hang on your bathroom or shower enclosure’s door.
There are many bathroom essentials you can place in your shower caddy. Some of the given and obvious stuff you can place are hair brushes, shampoos, conditioners, soap bars, shaving creams, razor blades, toothpaste, and toothbrushes. Additionally, you can also place your valuable makeup removers, facial cleansers, wash cloths, body lotions and deodorants in the same shower caddy so you can place all your toiletries in one place.
But do bear in mind to place all the “dry” shower essentials like body lotions and makeup removers on the top of your shower caddy shelves and all other stuff that is intended to get wet on the lower shelves. Almost all shower caddies have drains on the bottom of each shelf, and I’m sure that you don’t want to get your body lotions and makeup removers all wet because of water dripping down from the bar of soap you placed on the top shelf.
Why Buy Shower Caddies?
Many ask me why I need to buy shower caddies. My answer is simple really. It’s for the same reason why you’re buying pre-made shelves at Ikea – for organizing. I’ve listed three reasons why you should buy a shower caddy and for organizing is one.
- It Organizes. A shower caddy can help you declutter your bathroom and save you a ton of space by having a dedicated space for all your shower essentials or toiletries. Shower caddies also help you save time by having all your shower essentials within arm’s reach when you are in a hurry going to work or school.
- It Decorates. Together with other elements of your bathroom like the mirror and sink, shower caddies can contribute to improving the overall design of a bathroom. An amply decorated bathroom is not only good for the eyes, but it also invokes that “feel good” feeling each time you step into your bathroom. For some, the bathroom is the perfect place to relax whether having a steamy shower or a bubbly bathtub session, having a perfectly decorated bathroom can multiply your relaxation exponentially.
- It Keeps Your Toiletries Clean. Aside from organizing, shower caddies also help to keep your shower essentials clean. In the absence of a shower caddy, you may place your beauty and cleaning products on surfaces where water accumulates and where there is water accumulation, there is mold. Shower caddies are designed to have drainage and airflow features to keep your shower caddies clean.
A shower caddy will help you organize your bathroom essentials and will also keep them clean. But shower caddies also have other purposes than the ones mentioned. Shower caddies can also organize other aspects of a home that doesn’t involve a conditioner, shampoo or soap. Several brilliant ways to use a shower caddy is to use it as a mini garden, as a fruit and vegetable holder, and as a tool to hold your laundry supplies like bleach and detergent. Find out more about these “shower caddy hacks” in the Five Useful Guides for Shower Caddies section.
Types of Shower Caddies
Shower caddies can be further classified into five distinct categories: over-the-showerhead shower caddies, tension corner shower caddies, freestanding corner shower caddies, over-the-door shower caddies, and shower totes.
Over-the-showerhead Shower Caddies. Over-the-showerhead shower caddies are the usual shower caddies you’ll find on the market. This type of shower caddy is preferred by many because of the ease of installation – you just need to hang it over the showerhead. Aside from the fact that it’s easy to install, over the showerhead shower caddies are no different from the other types of shower caddies.
Buy an over-the-showerhead shower caddy when you have an ample sized and shaped showerhead that won’t let the shower caddy slip from it easily. An over-the-showerhead shower caddy is also useful if you don’t have a dedicated shower enclosure.
- The Zenna Home 7402AL is by far the most best-selling over-the-showerhead shower caddy you can find. Aside from being 100% rustproof (a rare characteristic of shower caddies nowadays), the Zenna Home 7402AL features two shelves with a soap dish, a slip proof collar to prevent it from falling off your showerhead, and suction cups for added stability. It’s the perfect shower caddy to buy if you don’t want to spend a lot of time looking for that “perfect” shower caddy.
- Another notable over-the-showerhead shower caddy is the simplehuman Adjustable with two adjustable shelves to help you fit any kind and size of shower essentials on your shower caddy, be it large bottles and small flasks. Additional features of the simplehuman Adjustable includes an anodized aluminum coating which makes it completely rustproof and a mounting clamp instead of a hook to keep it from falling from your showerhead. The simplehuman Adjustable also has a suction cup at the bottom of its body and nifty razor holders.
- The mDesign Swing is one shower caddy to take into account when considering your options for an over-the-showerhead shower caddy. Equipped with two baskets or shelves that can swing to and from the shower caddy’s frame, you can have the opportunity to place your large shower essentials bottles that otherwise won’t fit on a regular shower caddy. Moreover, the mDesign Swing’s movable baskets are designed to hold bottles upside down for easy dispensing.
Tension Corner Shower Caddies. A tension corner shower caddy can be placed in the corner of your bathroom or shower enclosure. It’s commonly installed and held up by a mechanism called a tension bar. There are different tension corner shower caddies available in the market varying in the make, the number of shelves, the length of the tension bar, and strength of the tension bar.
Purchase a tension corner shower caddy if you have a spacious bathroom with unfilled corners. Tension corner shower caddies are also preferred if you have a bathroom ceiling made of sturdy materials so that you can avoid puncturing your ceiling because of the tension bar. Moreover, take also into account the floor to ceiling height of your bathroom as some tension corner shower caddies have limited extendable heights.
- The preferred Zenna Home 2130NN is included in the corner shower caddies category. The Zenna Home 2130NN features a tension pole for installation and four self-draining baskets with one deep basket that holds your large bathroom essentials. Additionally, this shower caddy is also rust-resistant. Like the Zenna Home 7402AL, the Zenna Home 2130NN is your go-to tension corner shower caddy if you don’t want to spend a lot of time looking for more options.
- The InterDesign York has four adjustable shelves that move up and down and provide you the opportunity to fit large shower essentials as you please. Subsequently, the tension corner shower caddy is also coated in ThermoBond making it rust-resistant and comes with the patented Constant Tension technology that helps keep the tension up even after a long time. The InterDesign York also comes in a variety of color options namely Bronze, Pearl White, Satin, and Silver.
- The mDesign Corner Tension is like the InterDesign York’s little sister. Both have adjustable shelves, and both comes with the Constant Tension technology. The only noticeable difference between them both, aside from the minor differences in how they look, is that the mDesign Corner Tension is a couple of bucks more affordable that its InterDesign York counterpart. The mDesign Corner Tension comes in two color options, Bronze and Satin, compared to the four color options of its counterpart.
Freestanding Corner Shower Caddies. The simplest out of all the shower caddy types (and probably the most affordable) because you only need to do one thing to use a freestanding corner shower caddy – place it on an appropriate corner. Some freestanding corner shower caddies have nifty features like adjustable feet and rubber grips on its feet to prevent it from sliding on your bathroom’s floor, especially when it’s inclined.
Buy a freestanding corner shower caddy, likewise, if you have a spacious bathroom with unfilled corners. But unlike the tension corner shower caddy, you’re not limited to what material your bathroom ceiling is made of and its maximum height. Rather, you must think of how low the freestanding corner shower caddy is because it’s a hassle if you’re required to bend just to reach your bar of soap.
- The mDesign Free Standing Corner shower caddy has been included in one point in Amazon’s Top 100 in the shower caddy category. With its two and three –tier variants, the mDesign Free Standing Corner is a shower caddy that will provide you with options – if you’re looking for more space to place your shower essentials in, the 3-tier variant will best suit you. Otherwise, the 2-tier variant is enough. What’s more is that the mDesign Free Standing Corner, its color is a perfect addition for a rustic or vintage themed bathroom.
- A truly rust proof shower caddy is hard to find these days, and the OXO Good Grips Corner Standing is one of them. With a dedicated soap holder on top and its neutral silver color that matches any bathroom motif, the OXO Corner Standing is a functional yet stylish freestanding corner shower caddy. Moreover, the OXO Good Grips Corner Standing also has two ample-sized shelves for your shower essentials and the whole shower caddy big enough so that you won’t bend much when you’re reaching for your bathing essentials.
- Another good freestanding corner shower caddy you’ll find in Amazon is the simplehuman Adjustable Corner Shower Caddy. It’s a shower caddy that is made of anodized aluminum, making it completely rustproof. Additionally, it has adjustable feet specially made for bathrooms with uneven floors, and it has dedicated holders for your razors and loofahs. The simplehuman Adjustable Corner Shower Caddy is also available in a Plus size for those with more than average shower essentials.
Over-the-door Shower Caddies. If over-the-showerhead shower caddies are mounted on a showerhead, and corner shower caddies are placed in, well, a corner, it’s a no-brainer that over-the-door shower caddies are positioned above a door. An over-the-door shower caddy has this long hook that will serve as the mounting point for the product on any appropriate horizontal surface in your bathroom like on towel bars or the side of your shower enclosure.
Purchase an over-the-door shower caddy if you have a dedicated shower enclosure where you can hang it in. Though you can always hang it on your bathroom door or a towel bar, the door or the sides of shower enclosures are the ideal places to hang your over-the-door shower caddy on.
- The Zenna Home 7803SS banners a heavy-gauge wire with two adjustable shelves, a soap dish, and hooks for razor storage, wash cloths, and poufs. You can adjust the height of the shower caddy’s shelf to fit your intended shower essential by moving it up one level or vice versa. Rarely does an over-the-door shower caddy with adjustable shelf come, so the Zenna Home 7803SS is always a good over-the-door shower caddy to consider. What’s more is that it has been listed in Amazon’s Top 100 in the shower caddy category.
- The InterDesign Metalo has a three-tiered shelf with the middle one that swings to and from the body so you can fit larger bottles that won’t normally fit in a usual over-the-door shower caddy. It comes in three color variants: Silver, Bronze, and Satin and coated with ThermoBond for a completely rustproof over-the-door shower caddy. You can also hang your loofahs and small towels at the bottom of the InterDesign Metalo. The InterDesign Metalo is one of the shower caddies that can adapt to the size of your shower essentials.
- With its curvy, seamless bezels, and complimentary satin color, the mDesign Over-the-Door shower caddy might be the most modern of all over-the-door shower caddies today with an affordable price tag. Additionally, the bottom part of the frame has six sets of hooks where you can hang or place your non-consumable shower essentials like razors and loofahs. Looking it another way, you can use the bottom part of the mDesign Over-the-Door’s frame can as a nifty towel bar.
Shower Totes/Bath Totes. A shower tote or bath tote is a portable kind of shower caddy that is perfect for vacations and even in college or dorm use. The point is, shower totes are used if you don’t have your personal bathroom. Certain shower totes are made up of different materials like nylon mesh and plastic, and some also possess the decent feature of having a drainage hole at the bottom.
Buy a shower tote or bath tote when you don’t have your personal bathroom like in a college dormitory or when you are frequently traveling, and you want, or maybe need, something that will help you organize your shower essentials in one place.
- The most bought shower tote on Amazon is the Mayin LLC Mesh Shower Tote. Mayin LLC’s Mesh Shower Tote features a large main pocket with eight (8) ample side pockets, a comfortable carry handle, and an all mesh material that makes the whole shower tote breathable so that mold and other nasty stuff won’t accumulate in it. This mesh shower tote is a no-brainer must-buy if you’re planning on living in a college dorm for some time. Moreover, the Mayin LCC Mesh Shower Tote is available in multiple colors.
- The InterDesign Orbz is another type of shower tote, but it’s not your usual one because it is made of plastic instead of mesh. The plastic build makes it more sturdier to hold more of your shower essentials – a popular option for males living in college dorms. The InterDesign Orbz is available in five color options: Black, Coral, Lemon, Mint, and White. Aside from the color variants, the InterDesign Orbz also has three different makes – small, small-divided, and medium – that you can choose from depending on your needs.
- A shower or bath tote with a 20-inch long strap to help you hang or wrap the whole thing on a stable surface while bathing all while coupled with a mesh build will give you total functionality and reliability for a shower tote. That bath tote is the ShowerMade Bath Tote, a great alternative to the bestselling Mayin LCC Mesh Shower Tote if you don’t want to buy something popular that everyone else has. The ShowerMade Bath Tote has three (3) differently sized pockets and, surprisingly, a two-year warranty.
Regardless of the different kinds of shower caddies except for shower totes, most shower caddies are made of rust-proof stainless steel, so you won’t need to worry about it damaging your showerhead.
Aside from stainless steel, some shower caddies are also made of wood like bamboo for the contemporary bathroom, a perfect fit for those who have glass shower enclosures as it increases the “premium” feel of your bathroom. Last but not the least, there are also shower caddies that are made of sturdy plastic which are cheaper but less aesthetically pleasing.
Choosing Shower Caddies
There are multiple factors to consider in choosing the perfect shower caddy for you or either as a gift to your family or friends. Take these factors into consideration when choosing the best shower caddy so you can save the hassle of returning the item because it’s not the right fit.
- Type. Take into account the type of shower caddy you’re buying. If you have an ample-sized showerhead and if you have a door-less shower or bathing area, go for the over-the-showerhead shower caddy type. If you have a spacious bathroom and you want to make use of an empty corner, go for the corner shower caddies. If you have a dedicated shower enclosure, an over-the-door shower caddy suits you best. Lastly, if you’re always on the go either as a student or just an ordinary traveler, a shower tote is a must-have.
- Make. Shower caddies come in all makes or materials depending on the type. The usual shower caddies come in aluminum, steel, and stainless steel while there are also shower caddies that are made of wood or plastic. It’s important to bear in mind the make or material of the shower caddy you’ll buy so that it suits your bathroom’s theme or motif. If you have a normal or industrial looking bathroom, aluminum, steel, or stainless steel shower caddy will suit you. On the other hand, if you have a contemporary or you want a spa-like vibe to your bathing area, a wooden shower caddy is perfect.
- Color. There are a lot of shower caddies in the market that provides you with color options. Take into account the InterDesign Metalo which is available in silver, bronze, and satin. The shower caddy’s color of finish will go hand-in-hand with its make or material to complement your bathroom’s theme or motif.
- Size. A shower caddy of the same type, make, and even color can vary in size – one shower caddy can be long but thin, and another can also be short and stout. A good comparison is the Aquateak Organizer and the Umbra Shamboo as they’re both over-the-head types, both wooden shower caddies, and both are, well, wooden in color, but they differ in size. Think about the size when buying your shower caddy so that it won’t be too big that cramps up your bathroom and it won’t be too small that you’ll lose a shower caddy’s functionality.
Choosing shower caddies will also become easier if you have some cheat sheet to determine the best shower caddies with no fluff. Shower Caddies INFO has an always up-to-date list of The Best Shower Caddies this 2018 that you can rely on to help you make your best shower caddy purchase.
Buying Shower Caddies
After knowing why to buy a shower caddy, what type of shower caddy you’ll buy, and perhaps reviewing the Top Reviews on Shower Caddies 2018 list, it’s now time to purchase one. There are a handful of places where you can buy shower caddies. The first option is, of course, Amazon. Subsequently, there is also your local mom-and-pop shops that also have e-commerce sites like Ikea, Target, and Walmart.
Of all the places available for you to buy a shower caddy, purchasing it on Amazon may be your best option. First and foremost, buying it off Amazon will give you the convenience of purchasing a shower caddy at the comforts of your home. Secondly, buying a shower caddy at Amazon will give you more competitive prices compared to buying it at your local brick-and-mortar outlets. Third, when you purchase shower caddies at Amazon, the product will be delivered at your doorstep on time and safe and sound. Total convenience!
Installing Shower Caddies
After you bought your shower caddy, it’s only natural that you want to install it. Since there are various types of shower caddies, there are also different ways to install these things and these methods may require tools like screwdrivers and wrenches. As a rule of thumb, always read the instructions first on how to install shower caddy because not all are made the same.
If what you bought is an over-the-showerhead shower caddy, just simply to mount it to the showerhead. If the shower caddy you bought has a narrow placeholder opening, you may need to unscrew the showerhead or the whole shower itself first, slip the shower caddy’s placeholder in, and replace the showerhead or shower. Take note that some showerheads and showers may require a wrench for you to “unscrew” it instead of a screwdriver.
If what you bought is tension corner shower caddy, install it by adjusting the tension rods provided in the product. Start by assembling the tension rod and fastening the provided shelves to the rod. Place the combination on the desired bathroom corner you want your shower caddy in, extend the tension rod up to the ceiling, and twist the rod just enough until you feel that the shower caddy is secured. You may need tools to install your tension corner shower caddy.
The next way to install a shower caddy is possibly the easiest way as it is ala-plug and play. I’m talking about over-the-door shower caddies. To install this, well, you just hang it on any proper horizontal surface like your bathroom’s door, on top of your shower enclosure, and on your shower rod and you’re good to go.
Whether you used a screwdriver, wrench, or just hung your shower caddy, there are some specific shower caddies that have suction cups for improved stability. To use to the suction cup, first, wipe the surface where you intend to place the suction cup with a clean cloth dipped slightly in water. Second, wipe the area off with a new and dry cloth. Third, press the suction cup firmly to the intended surface.
What are Shower Niches?
Shower niches or bathroom niches are sunken or recessed parts of your bathroom walls that are inserted with shelves to serve as a shower organizer. Shower niches can be of any size you see fit, and the shelves can be made of any material be it glass or granite – all the decisions are up to you. There are even bathroom niches that have downlights in them.
The main difference of shower niches and shower caddies is that bathroom niches will require general civil construction works for it to happen unless a shower niche is already planned from the get-go when you’re planning the blueprints of your house. Shower caddies, on the other hand, are the quick-fix solutions for bathroom organization if you don’t have a bathroom niche or you’re not planning on getting one.
The advantage of shower niches is that it looks more natural and pleasing to the eyes compared to a shower caddy which may look a bit out of place when you install them to your preferred spot.
There are multiple do-it-yourself shower niches available on Amazon available in different sizes if you don’t want the hassle of conceptualizing your dimensions for your bathroom niches.
The Tile Redi USA Niche Single Shelf 16 x 14 inches is the choice of many for do-it-yourself shower niches. Four inches deep, the Tile Redi USA Niche Single Shelf 16 x 14 inches will provide ample of space to fit your shower essentials. It’s also made with PVC so you can be sure that I won’t rust.
Take note that when installing a do-it-yourself shower niche, you’re still required to chip a hole into your bathroom’s wall. You may do it yourself or hire a general contractor to do it. Either way, when it’s been installed, you’re going to enjoy the functionality of a bathroom niche more than a regular shower caddy.
What are Shower Shelves?
A shower shelf or shower shelves differ from shower caddies in their design. Typically, shower shelves are bought per shelf compared to shower caddies that are bought as a package with multiple shelves.
Shower shelves are usually placed in the corners of your bathroom and are commonly held up through suction cups. Though there are shower shelves that can be installed through the use of traditional power tools.
The material on what the shower shelf is made of also varies, but the most common shower shelves are made of glass while there are others that are made of stainless steel. Don’t let glass shower shelves fool you because there are glass shower shelves that can hold up to 25 pounds of your shower essentials.
One suggested shower shelf is the John Sterling Shelf-Made KT-0134-1212SN. The shower shelf is based on tempered glass that can hold up to 25 pounds of your toiletries. Additionally, its brackets are small and inconspicuous that it gives an almost floating look. The John Sterling Shelf-Made KT-0134-1212SN is also easy to install according to the manufacturer.
What are Bathtub Caddies?
Aside from shower caddies, there is also another type of caddy – bathtub caddies. A bathtub caddy is different from a shower caddy on the way on how it looks and of course, the functionality. The majority of bathtub caddies takes the form of a tray where you can place your beauty and care products on it for easy access. Apart from serving as organizers, a bathtub caddy can also have other features like a book holder where you can read your favorite novel while soaking in your tub.
Listed as number one in the Amazon best seller for bathtub trays or bathtub caddies, the Royal Craft Wood Luxury Bathroom Caddy is an eye candy. Made from high-quality bamboo wood, it’s one of the most adaptive bathtub caddies that can extend up to 43 inches long, fitting almost all bathtub sizes. What’s more is that it’s loaded with features like and adjustable reading stand with a rear cover to protect tablets, candle stand for aromatherapy, and a slot for a drinking glass.