When you turn the page to the next chapter of your life, you need everything that will help you succeed in it because it’s a blank page after all and anything could happen. I’m talking about college. In colleges, specifically in college dormitories, you don’t have your own personal bathroom. Instead, you have community bathrooms where dozens or even hundreds of people share bathing in it every morning. Moreover, because you don’t have a personal bathroom, that means you need to lug around your bathroom essentials like your shampoos, conditioners, soaps, toothbrushes, razors, and other whatnot every single morning for you to take a bath.
I believe, and I think most of you will agree, that showers or a bath are the second most important part of the morning aside from breakfast. I also believe that showers or a bath are meant to be moments of relaxation and not stress because if you start your day with stress, you will probably ruin your next 18 hours. Being stress-free is specifically important for college because you need to have a positive mindset and cheerful attitude for you to cope up with gruesome requirements that stack almost every day.
One contributor to everyday stress is the process of carrying your bath essentials from your dorm room to the community or dorm bathroom. If you don’t have a shower caddy, specifically a college shower caddy or dorm shower caddy, this is a ghastly process you’re going to repeat every single day.
The Types of College Dorm Shower Caddies
There are two major types of college dorm shower caddies: mesh bath or shower totes and portable plastic shower caddies. Each type has their own specific pros and cons, but both are equally useful in making your college life easier.
Mesh Bath or Shower Totes. If you want a sleek college dorm shower caddy with a lot of separate compartments for each specific bath essential, go with a college dorm shower caddy made of mesh. The aspect of mesh bath or shower totes on why it’s the best type of shower caddy for college dorm use is that a mesh build is breathable. Thus, reducing the risk of accumulating mildew or mold in the bath or shower tote and ruining your college shower essentials
Moreover, a mesh build makes the bath or shower tote easy to store after use. Plus, the long fabric straps of a bath or shower tote made of mesh are useful when you want to hang your college dorm shower caddy somewhere in the bathroom.
Portable Plastic Shower Caddies. On the other hand, if you want a sturdy college dorm shower caddy that has open compartments for a streamlined pickup and use experience, opt to purchase college dorm shower caddies made of plastic. A portable plastic shower caddy is a better option for most if you have heavy and bulky college shower essentials like large shower bottles that will take most of the space if you have a mesh bath or shower tote.
Portable plastic shower caddies are also the top choice for males as their college dorm shower caddy since plastic shower caddies are sturdier looking compared to mesh bath or shower tote that are somewhat flimsy to look at.
College Dorm Shower Caddies for Males
For the males out there, you may not want a college dorm shower caddy because you think that college dorm shower caddies are “unmanly” and are for girls only. Due to this perception, some males will opt to use Ziploc bags to store their bath essentials in. In my honest opinion, please don’t use Ziploc bags because water will accumulate inside the bag and with the right temperature, bacteria may thrive in it – it’s too risky.
What males can do is to find a college dorm shower caddy which has bold colors like black or blue. Male college goers can also opt to purchase portable shower caddies, which are sturdier to look at compared to mesh bath or shower totes that are flimsier to look at.
College Dorm Shower Caddies Must-Haves
After purchasing your very own college dorm shower caddy, it is, of course, just right to fill it up with your bathing essentials. There is a person who said that there are specific tools to use to solve every problem, and it applies to bathing as well – there are specific shower essentials to use for a complete bathing experience.
- Bar soap. Perhaps the most essential out of the essentials in your college dorm shower caddy. You can’t totally call yourself clean without washing your body. But don’t just buy any bar soap because a good bar soap does not only clean you but refreshes you as well and does not leave your skin dry.
- Shampoo. The second-most essential out of the must-haves in your college dorm shower caddy because you can survive with just a bar soap and a shampoo bottle. There are different types of shampoos suited for every need and each gender. For example, there are shampoos that combat dry hair, which is extremely useful if you’re living in the tropical part of the United States.
- Conditioner. For some, conditioners coupled with shampoos are the one-two punch in hair care. If shampoos clean your hair, conditioners maintain them by bringing out their silky smooth feel and glow. Contrary to popular culture, conditioners can also be used by men to maintain their hair. A must have for your college dorm shower caddy.
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste. No one wants to come into class with morning breath. Instead, all of us wants to come into class with sparkling white teeth and a minty-fresh breath. Like most of the shower essentials on your college dorm shower caddy, there are toothbrushes and toothpaste in the market for every need, so make sure to get the one that bests suits your lifestyle, need, and budget.
- Mouthwash. If shampoos have conditioners, toothbrushes and toothpaste have mouthwash. Mouthwashes are available in alcohol and alcohol-free solutions, but despite whether they’re alcohol or alcohol-free, mouthwashes provides 360o cleaning to help rid your mouth of bacteria that toothbrushes and toothpaste can’t clean. Another must-have for your college dorm shower caddy.
- Razor. A good and long-lasting razor is a must-have for any college dorm shower caddy. The most optimal razors for college use are the compact and reusable ones (those which have replaceable razor heads). There are razors that are made specifically for men and women, so choose one according to your gender so you can have a hassle-free shave.
- Shaving Cream. For men, you can use your razor without a shaving cream in your college dorm shower caddy, but shaving cream helps lubricate the cutting process thus avoiding a painful shave. Also, some shaving creams leave a cooling sensation after that’s refreshing to the skin.
- Facial Cleanser. Your face will need a different concentrate of cleaning that’s not too little and not too much – too little, and your face might still be dirty, too much and your face might be irritated and may start to redden or peel off. Choose facial cleansers for your college dorm shower caddy that you think is right for your face.
- Shower Cloth. Loofahs are useful for scrubbing dead skin off your body. But loofahs are prone to bacteria accumulation and may have to be replaced every two weeks or so. As an alternative to loofahs, buy shower cloths instead for your college dorm shower caddy. Shower cloths clean just as well as loofahs plus some come with antibacterial properties as well.
- Shower Speaker. For the audiophiles and those who want to rock it out while taking a shower, a waterproof shower speaker is a must for your college dorm shower caddy. One of the better shower speakers out there is the ShackJoy 5W Portable Bluetooth Speaker with Shower Suction Mount. Just attach the mount to the speaker, stick the mount to an appropriate surface, and get ready to have your groove going while you shower.
You might not be used to carrying your bathroom materials from your room to the bathroom while you were still living in your own house. In college, it’s a must practice because you can’t just leave your shampoos and soap bars inside the community or dorm bathroom.
I can promise you that you’ll get used to it with the help of a good college dorm shower caddy and some time. I even read some tweets where college students got so used to carrying their bathroom essentials from their room to the bathroom using a college dorm shower caddy that they still even do it at home while they’re on their spring break!
The worst case scenario, if you don’t have a college dorm shower caddy, is that you risk leaving some bathroom essentials in your dorm room just to go back and get it later on while you’re in the bathroom queue. You also risk your bathroom materials dropping to the floor while you’re on your way to the college bathroom. Moreover, you place your bathroom essentials on the community shower floor where it’s exposed to tons of bacteria species.
Get Your Amazon Prime Student Free Trial
Surely, your college dorm shower caddy isn’t the only one in your “to buy” list when you are first stepping into college or going back to school this 2017. Among the other things you can buy are your textbooks and, of course, gadgets that will help your study and make reports. Amazon Prime Student is your number one partner for getting items in your “to buy” list purchased.
Join Amazon Prime Student and get FREE Two-Day Shipping on eligible purchases. You’ll also get access to unlimited streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows through Prime Video, access to unlimited photo storage through Prime Photos, as well as student-exclusive deals and discounts.
For the gamers, your Amazon Prime membership will grant you access to Twitch Prime, a levelled-up version of your Traditional Twitch.tv that includes free game content, exclusive and ad-free viewing, and you also receive one FREE Twitch channel subscription every 30 days as an Amazon Prime Student member.